News

Trump Calls Off Iran Strike, But the Strait of Hormuz Crisis Is Far From Resolved

Energy
0 min read

Oil markets whipsawed Tuesday after President Trump announced he had called off a planned military strike on Iran scheduled for that morning, citing active negotiations brokered by Gulf allies. The announcement briefly pulled crude prices lower, but the relief was short-lived. The underlying supply crisis has not been resolved, and the data emerging from global inventory trackers suggests the window for a clean diplomatic outcome is narrowing fast.

Brent crude slipped to around $110 per barrel following Trump’s announcement while West Texas Intermediate pulled back to approximately $103. Both contracts had been climbing sharply the session prior, with Brent settling above $112 and WTT rising more than 3% on Monday alone. The combined 54% rise in both benchmarks since the US-Iran conflict began February 28 represents one of the most sustained energy price shocks in recent memory.

What Trump Said — and What It Means

Trump posted on Truth Social Monday evening that the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates personally requested he hold off on the strike while serious negotiations proceed. He confirmed the military had been placed on full alert and instructed to act on short notice if a deal is not reached. A senior US official told reporters that Iran’s latest proposal remains insufficient, and no framework has been announced. The ceasefire is intact — but barely.

The Inventory Problem

The diplomatic pause may have eased prices temporarily, but the physical oil market tells a more urgent story. The International Energy Agency warned Monday at the G7 finance ministers meeting in Paris that global commercial oil inventories are depleting at a record pace. Stockpiles fell 129 million barrels in March and another 117 million barrels in April. At the current rate of depletion, inventories will approach all-time lows of approximately 7.6 billion barrels by end of May — a timeline measured in days, not months.

Complicating matters further, Iran has effectively converted the strait into a toll-collecting operation. Reports indicate the Iranian Revolutionary Guards are charging vessels fees for passage, with nearly two dozen tankers sitting idle around Kharg Island. Traffic through the strait last week totaled just 55 vessels — still well below pre-conflict norms and only a marginal recovery from the wartime low of 19 crossings the prior week.

The Small Cap Exposure

For investors in the sub-$2 billion market cap space, the Iran situation is an active P&L event. Consumer-facing small caps in transportation, logistics, food services, and manufacturing continue absorbing elevated fuel costs that compress margins in real time. Limited pricing power and thin operating margins make smaller companies structurally more vulnerable to a prolonged energy shock than large cap counterparts.

The counterweight remains domestic energy producers. With WTI holding above $100 despite Tuesday’s pullback, the economics for independent US oil and gas operators remain highly favorable. Energy services companies and midstream operators in the small cap space are direct beneficiaries — and a negotiated resolution that reopens the strait would not necessarily collapse prices overnight given how severely inventories have been drawn down.

Trump’s call to stand down bought time. Whether that time produces a deal or simply delays the next escalation remains the most consequential open question in global energy markets right now.

Share

Inbox Intel from Channelchek.

Informed investors make more money. And it’s all about timing. Get it when it happens.

By clicking submit you are agreeing to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy